Sriracha Tofu with Korean Barbecued Chicken
Hello to you, I hope your week is going swimmingly well. That title above is quite a mouthful but the mouthful was full of delight!
You know personally I don’t think of myself as a health nut or something, but I have been realizing the power and the blessing of feeling good, and seeing the connection to what I am taking in. Having said that, I am not abandoning my like long best food friends who have been with me through good and bad, like Charlie Cheeseburger, or Enrique Enchilada, or Patrizio Pizzeria, or Tito Gordito Taco Bell, I mean I am committed to my friends for life, it’s the right thing to do. But, maybe it’s my age or maturity, but I am now meeting new friends such as Tom Tofu and Quin Quinoa and how I feel after hanging out with them is terrific. I walk away feeling great about myself and with lots of energy. So as you have seen, I’ve been spending more time with them at meal time.
Tofu is so versatile, like a friend that you can tell anything to, tofu can blend with so many sauces and textures, firm or soft. I like a bit of heat, hence my love of sriracha, and the tofu really absorbs the flavor nicely. You will pan fry the slices of tofu which will give it a great crispy texture.
The Korean Barbecued chicken is a dish I’ve made before. Just a simple sauce applied to grilled chicken thighs. The whole meal is super quick, really easy and really good. Serve it with some rice or other veggie and you can have a great party with your friends.
Well, I’ve gone from playing with my food to now naming my food, that’s ok, I have an appointment with the psychologist tomorrow. Have a great new day tomorrow and thanks for reading. To really appreciate this dish even more you need to play the song that was inspiring me, and of course that would be “You’ve got it (the right stuff)“, by New Kids on the Block.
“All that I needed was you…in my life (Tofu) you’re so right…” Can’t you just hear the melody, I love it.
- 13 ounces extra firm tofu
- oil (to pan fry or grill)
- 3/4 cup Sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey (or brown sugar)
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Squeeze the tofu between your palms until most of the water is drained.Wrap the tofu in kitchen roll and squeeze again gently.Discard the kitchen roll and place the tofu on a cutting board.Slice into 1/2 inch thick pieces.
- Coat each piece with the marinade on both sides and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil on a non stick pan and pan fry the tofu for 7-8 minutes on each side so that its crispy on either side. Serve hot!
Korean Barbecue Sauce
- 1 1/4 cups soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 7 1/4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons gochujang
- 2 tablespoons ginger (freshly grated)
- 4 spring onions (large, finely chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves (grated)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil