I love a Chimichanga, because it’s like my junk drawer filled with all my various items that I love that come together in a tasty harmony, oh and it’s fried, oh baby! I actually opted for a healthier version and baked this tasty burrito in the oven. To get the nice golden brown tan, I brushed the tasty tortilla with a bit of melted butter and oil while in the oven. It was a fiesta in my mouth, Ole! If you want a step by step recipe, please see below. But feel free to go outside the lines a bit, I added some left over french fries, a bit of cilantro rice, salsa, corn kernels and it turned out BOMB!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 1 small tomato, chopped, plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 15-ounce can refried beans
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, plus more for topping
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Melt the butter with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet; transfer to a bowl. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and 1 teaspoon salt; toast 30 seconds. Add the tomato and cilantro and cook until slightly dry, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken and warm through. Remove from the heat.
Brush a rimmed baking sheet with some of the butter-oil mixture. Spread 2 tablespoons refried beans down the center of each tortilla, leaving a 2-inch border on both ends. Top with 1 cup chicken mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Fold in the ends and roll up.
Put the chimichangas seam-side down on the baking sheet; brush with the butter-oil mixture. Bake 8 to 10 minutes per side, brushing again after you flip. Top with the more cheese, salsa or lettuce and tomato. Serve with rice and the remaining beans. Easy and quick for a weeknight meal! Enjoy and cherish your junk drawer!